By Dr. Josh Axe
Collagen supplements are extremely popular because they offer many body-wide benefits, such as generally aiding in skin hydration and elasticity, strong hair and nails, joint comfort, and support for gut health.
One reason why collagen is so important for overall wellness is because it makes up approximately 30 percent of all the proteins in the body.
To put it simply, collagen is quite literally the “glue” that holds our bodies together — helping to form and maintain connective tissues found in our joints, bones, ligaments, tendons, skin, bones, organs and more.
What Are Collagen Peptides?
Collagen peptides contain the same exact set of amino acids and nutrients as collagen, but have undergone a process called hydrolysis to break them down into shorter chains of proteins called peptides. They are also referred to as hydrolyzed collagen or collagen hydrolysate.
Peptides are made up of chains of amino acids. They have been especially noted for being small enough to help maximize absorption, so they can really make a difference when you supplement with them regularly. Due to their high bioavailability, they can be absorbed into the bloodstream more readily than regular collagen protein.
This is why adding our new Collagen Peptides — which are made with clinically studied ingredients that provide several different types of collagen — to your daily routine can deliver results in as little as one day.
Why We Need More Collagen In Our Diet
Collagen is the most abundant protein in your body that helps to give your body structure. Almost all the parts of your body contain it, with the majority found in your bones, skin, muscles, tendons and ligaments.
Why do we need it, especially as we normally age? Your body starts making less of its own collagen once you reach your mid to late thirties and beyond. Coming up short on different types of collagen — such as type 1 collagen, which makes up about 90 percent of all the collagen in your body — can be noticed in changes in your skin, joints, and even exercise recovery.
When your body is lacking other types of collagen, such as types 2 and 3, you may also notice it in your flexibility and gut.
Collagen isn’t found in many foods, mostly with the exception of bone broth, but getting more from supplements including our Collagen Peptides is a convenient way to boost your intake. Our peptides are easy to absorb and simple to incorporate into your daily routine — considering they are taken in powder or tablet form.
Features of Ancient Nutrition's Collagen Peptides
1. Collagen Types
Out of all the collagen in your body, there are at least 29 different types. Each type contains a slightly different sequence of amino acids, which determines its specific role and functions.
Of the 29 types, types I, II and III are used in most collagen supplements on the market.
Something unique about our Collagen Peptides with eggshell membrane collagen is that it has five different collagen types! This includes types that offer widespread benefits for many different body parts.
2. Two Collagen Sources
Our Collagen Peptide products are made with clinically studied fermented eggshell membrane collagen, along with bovine collagen.
Ancient Nutrition is the only leading collagen protein powder brand on the market currently with a proprietary fermented eggshell membrane collagen ingredient backed by human clinical studies, proven to provide real results as early as day one. We only use sustainably sourced eggshell membrane from chickens raised in the United States.
Our bovine collagen peptides come exclusively from sources that are grass-fed and pasture-raised, cruelty-free, and made without hormones.
Together these sources are used to create collagen peptides that offer collagen types I and III, and provide support for healthy nails, gut, joints and skin.
Collagen Peptides make a great addition to your routine, whether you follow a keto, Paleo or other protocol diet, as our products are made without most common allergens, including nuts, dairy, grains, shellfish and soy.
By hydrolyzing our collagen protein, our products support the body’s ability to absorb collagen.
Your ability to digest and utilize proteins is impacted by the size of the peptides. Our formula uses hydrolyzed collagen, which simply means the collagen and amino acids are broken up into smaller units that are easy for your body to put to work.
Ancient Nutrition’s Collagen Peptides are made from a proprietary fermented eggshell membrane collagen ingredient. The fermentation process uses beneficial bacteria, yeasts and other microorganisms to boost the availability of nutrients.
At Ancient Nutrition, we’ve implemented a groundbreaking concept of using a unique pair of microorganisms (bacteria and yeast) that results in easier-to-digest peptides that aren’t altered by heat or chemical processing.
This assists in making the collagen more readily available to be digested properly, giving you the most benefits.
Our one-of-a-kind “clinically studied,” fermented eggshell membrane ingredient means that our ingredients are a) supported by proven research b) backed by peer-reviewed studies on healthy humans and c) tested for efficacy, safety and transparency.
Because of the different types of collagen included in our products, you can say hello to head-to-toe benefits when using Collagen Peptides.
1. Joint support
- Helps maintain healthy cartilage and cartilage turnover
- Reduces collagen degradation with noticeable results
- Helps reduce joint cartilage breakdown resulting from normal wear and tear and due to exercise
- Helps joints recover faster from exercise-related joint stiffness and discomfort
- Helps reduce joint stiffness and discomfort resulting from exercise
- Increased flexibility
- Reduced ROM (range of motion) associated discomfort
- Shown to reduce exercise-induced stiffness by 18.5%
- Shown to improve exercise recovery by 56.3%(Literally a game changer!)
- Provides rapid relief for exercise-induced joint discomfort (Day 1) and stiffness (Day 5) immediately following exercise
- Reduces the biomarker CTX-II, related to healthy cartilage
- Reduced exercise-induced joint discomfort as early as Day 1
- Reduces collagen degradation with noticeable results in as little as 3 days
- Improves recovery from exercise-induced stiffness in as little as 4 days
- Improves immediate exercise-induced stiffness in as little as 7 days
- Improves recovery from exercise-induced discomfort in as little as 8 days
- Reduced joint discomfort rapidly (7 days), continuously (30 days) and persistently (90 days)
- Reduced knee stiffness at 7 days
- Reduced knee stiffness, discomfort and improved function at 30 days
- Reduced discomfort, both rapidly (7 days) and continuously (60 days)
2. Gut support
- Supports a healthy gut†
- Our Immune formula supports a healthy immune system and healthy digestion
3. Skin support
- Promotes healthy skin
- Improves the appearance of crow’s feet after 4 weeks and skin tone after 8 weeks
4. Support for hair and nails
- Supports hair growth
- Promotes healthy hair thickness, growth with a reduction in hair breakage
- Promotes healthy nails
Collagen Peptides Products
- Collagen Peptides Protein Powder Unflavored — Unflavored formula which provides 18 grams of protein per 2 scoop serving (20 grams of collagen). Offers support for healthy hair, skin, nails, joints and gut function.
- Collagen Peptides Tablets — You can get the same benefits as our Unflavored Collagen Peptides, only taken in an ultra-convenient tablet form. Adults can take one tablet a day with 8 ounces of water.
- Collagen Peptides Protein Powder Vanilla — Features a natural vanilla flavor. Provides 18 grams of protein per 2 scoop serving (20 grams of collagen). Makes a great addition to coffee, smoothies, oatmeal, pancakes or other baked goods.
- Collagen Peptides Protein Powder Immune — Supports a healthy immune system and healthy digestion thanks to the addition of a clinically studied SBO probiotic strain called Bacillus subtilis. SBOs help seed the digestive tract with beneficial bacteria, which can grow and flourish to support immune system health and healthy digestion. Also provides Vitamin C, an essential part of a healthy diet to support overall health.
Difference Between Collagen Peptides and Multi Collagen Protein
Collagen Peptides and our Multi Collagen Protein powder (MCP) have many things in common, since both are supplemental sources of collagen. Both are also made without grains, non-GMO, raised without hormones, raised without antibiotics, pasture-raised and grass-fed.
MCP is a premium formula that features even more collagen types. You’ll get the same benefits for your hair, nails, skin and joints from both — plus, MCP is enhanced with clinically studied Vitamin C and 2 billion CFUs* (*at time of manufacture) of probiotic strain Bacillus coagulans. These ingredients support immune system health and provide added support for digestion.
MCP comes in superfood formulas designed for specific interests (like Multi Collagen Protein Joint + Mobility, Beauty + Sleep, and more).
Recommendation for Usage
Our Unflavored Collagen Peptides powder or Vanilla flavor is easy to enjoy any time of day. Try seamlessly stirring it into your morning coffee, adding it to a smoothie, or even baking with it.
It’s just as effective when consumed with hot or cold liquid, plus it stands up to heat if you cook or bake with it.
A general recommendation is for adults to take 2 scoops daily, typically with 12 ounces of your favorite hot or cold beverage. As always, you should consult your healthcare professional prior to starting any new dietary or lifestyle regimen, including dietary supplementation. Be sure to read and follow label directions for use.
- Our new Collagen Peptides formulas, available in powder and tablet form, help to reduce collagen degradation with noticeable results in as little as one day.
- Collagen Peptides feature hydrolyzed and fermented eggshell membrane and bovine collagen that provides support for healthy hair, skin, nails, joints and gut.
- These products feature different types of collagen from exclusively grass-fed and pasture-raised, cruelty-free and are made without hormones.
- Benefits include improving exercise recovery, supporting joint comfort, skin and skin tone, hair growth and more.
Dr. Josh Axe, DC, DNM, CNS, is a doctor of chiropractic, doctor of natural medicine, clinical nutritionist and author with a passion to help people get well using food and nutrition. He operates leading natural health website DrAxe.com and is co-founder of Ancient Nutrition, a health supplement company. He’s also author of the books Eat Dirt, Essential Oils: Ancient Medicine, Keto Diet, Collagen Diet and Ancient Remedies.